Sunday, April 23, 2017

Family History...So much more than Genealogy


Eleven years old, and I had just watched all of the Roots miniseries on TV. That is when I was bitten by the genealogy bug. My grandfather had judged passed away, but I was lucky to still have a great-grandmother who had just turned 97 that year.

At that time, I thought it was all about attaching names to photographs, and filling in the pedigree charts. I made a point of filling the family sheets also, because I knew it was important to everyone's information.

And that was all you needed, right?

I was so very wrong!

In starting this journey, I have discovered so much more than the names of my ancestors.

I discovered their stories. That is the essence of family history.

I grew up knowing most of the people in this photograph. But I now know so much more about them.

  • I know three of the men are WW II veterans. And that one was injured as a paratrooper in the Philippines, and one was missing for a short time in France.
  • My great-grandmother was a widow for several years before the war, and had to watch alone as four sons went off to war.
  • My grandfather was born a year before his future wife's cousin was sworn in as the governor of Indiana.
  • I know that one of these gentlemen came from Italy as a young boy.

This is Family History! When a picture is so much more than names and faces. 

It is their stories.

It is in how they lived, endured, celebrated.

It is much, much more than a name on a chart!

2 comments:

  1. Diane,

    I want to let you know that your blog is listed in today's Genealogy Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2017/05/janas-genealogy-fab-finds-for-may-5-2017.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana, Thank you very much for including my blog in your Genealogy Fab Finds post today! I hope you are enjoying reading my blog posts.

    ReplyDelete