Sunday, January 27, 2019

Always Learning...Even in Surprising Ways!

I love learning anything I can regarding genealogy, family history, and history in general. There are many times that I can be seen leaving the library where I work with some genealogy books or a Family Tree magazine.

Here are my latest finds!


But, sometimes, the learning happens when you least expect it!

We had just recently gotten all four seasons of Finding Your Roots on DVD at my library, and my husband and I were watching a few episodes a night.


I don't know how many times I had to pause the DVD to right down a source I wanted to remember!


Also, I would be watching an episode, and realize the celebrity's ancestor would have something in common with my ancestors! For example, Bryant Gumbel's German ancestor had sailed to America from Hamburg on the Germania? So did my 2x- great grandfather, Henry (Henri, Heinrich) Haessig!


And, of course, the researcher in me has to always go and look up what I can on the Germania! Below, is a description I found on theshipslist.com that tells a little more about this passenger ship:  


"GERMANIA 1870 

Built in 1870 by Caird & Co, Greenock for the Hamburg America Line, the GERMANIA was a 2,876 gross ton ship, length 330ft x beam 39ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts(rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 150-1st, 70-2nd and 150-3rd class passengers. Launched on 24/12/1870, for the New Orleans service, but made her maiden voyage from Hamburg to New York on 4/5/1871. She commenced her fourth and last voyage on this service on 26/10/1872. She was chartered to the Hamburg South America Line in 1876 and was wrecked at Bahia, Brazil on 10/8/1876. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.390]"

A week or so ago, I had started reading this book just because it had sounded like a good book I would enjoy. It is part house history and part family history. I was not wrong; it is a good book that I am enjoying immensely.



But, again, I am learning so much about German history, and more specifically, Berlin's history. It covers almost 100 years from World War II and the Berlin Wall through to the present.


DAR Patriot Index &
1820 Federal Census for Indiana

And last, but not least, a local library was discarding these two gems and I was able to snag them for myself. I did check my library's shelves first to make sure we owned them already!

I have only had a chance to glance through the DAR book to ensure my known Patriot (Daniel Pearce/Pierce) was in there. He was!

But, it was the 1820 Census book that had really caught my attention. Even though everyone but Adam is only represented by a a number in a column, it still told gave me another little piece of their story.

My 4x-great grandparents, Adam and Judith (Smith) Moore, had travelled from Maryland to southeastern Indiana in 1818.  The census was taken only two years later in 1820. The fact that they had 5 children 10 years old or younger means that they had to have travelled with at least three to all five of these young children, along with a few older children.

Traveling, across the Cumberland Road until they reached the Ohio River. And then, down the Ohio River to just past Cincinnati...with all these children, mostly 10 or under! 

Just Wow!! 

Also, there were a lot more Moores in Dearborn County in 1820 than I ever realized. ADAM was the one that started the little town of Moores Hill in Dearborn County. How many other family members had travelled with him?

Since I know nothing of his family in Maryland, this might help break down a brick wall or two?

All this learning that happened accidentally is in addition to my research into DNA. I have been tested by 23andme.com and have found cousins through GEDmatch.com, but still don't understand it all very well. 

So, this book is going to teach me all I need, right?





I have heard from several reliable sources that Blaine Bettinger is not only one of the most knowledgeable onmy the subject of DNA, but he makes it much easier to understand.

So, tell me, what are you learning these days, purposefully or accidentally?


4 comments:

  1. Interesting! My 2G grandfather also sailed from Hamburg on the Germania, but it was in June 1869. Thanks for the reference to shipslist on your post... I looked it up; I guess it wrecked later that year! Blaine's book will definitely get you started, for sure! Or his subscription website at dna-central.com. Roberta Estes at dna-explained.com is also good at teaching via writing. Lots of pics, lots of examples, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I bet that interesting for you to discover that the ship wrecked the same year.What is the expression, "Timing is everything"? In your ancestor's case, that is very true!
    The website seemed like it would be very useful, but might not be well-known. After Iposted am done reading Blaine'sbook, I will definitely have to check these websites out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes like you I’m always learning something from everything I read. It’s terrible when I think of something I want to remember as I lay going to sleep. Not wanting hubby to think me crazy I don’t write it down but often grab my phone and head to the bathroom to write a note. Can’t rely on the memory! I love how you’ve written as torn paper? Would you share this trick?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne,
      Thank you! I am still slowly making my way through the DNA book, because I am trying to absorb everything and taking notes. My husband knows I am crazy (LOL), so I just take the notes anyway! As to the torn paper look, I absolutely have no idea how I did that! I honestly tried to fix it a couple of times. When it wouldn't fix, I just decided to leave it that way! I think that it was reading all of that as a caption to one of the pictures, not as just regular text. That is my best guess!
      Diane

      Delete