Friday, February 14, 2020

Through Her Eyes Thursday: Mathilda Steffen Pearce


**Disclaimer ~ Having technical difficulties as you are starting your blog post is never a good thing! There is not much that can be done when the internet is down.

So, although this is a "Through Her Eyes Thursday" post, it is being brought to on Friday, February 14th (AKA Valentine's Day). Today, I would like to show some love to this lovely lady, my maternal grandmother,  Mathilda (Tillie) Steffen Pearce.


Mathilda C. Steffen


Growing Up on a Iowa Farm


She was born Mathilda C. Steffen on May 10, 1910 in Luxemburg, Dubuque County, Iowa. Although she was named Mathilda, she was just "Tillie" to all who knew and loved her.

As one of the oldest daughters in a large family growing up in the early 1920's, Tillie spent much of her childhood helping to care for her younger siblings. As was common with girls in those days, she was taken out of school after the 8th grade to help her mother.


Love and Family


In her late 20's, Tillie would travel to the outskirts of the Chicago area with her younger sister, Alice. There, in Kendall County, both Tillie and Alice would find husbands and start raising families.

Tillie met and married Gerald H. Pearce on 24 November 1937. Gerald had been a widower with a grown daughter named Elnora, and a couple of grandchildren. 


Gerald and Mathilda Pearce


Gerald and Tillie would also have two children of their own. My mother, Kathleen, and uncle, James, joined the family in 1938 and 1943.



My Grandma "Tillie" & my mom, Kathy,
on Mom's First Communion.


Cooking and Kitchens


Grandma was a wonderful cook, and was well-known in Yorkville for her kitchen skills. According to my mother, she catered many meals during her lifetime. At one point, she also was a kitchen manager in a local restaurant, also.

Grandma Tillie
 
At home, in the kitchen

She was ahead of her time in many ways, also. Throughout the 1950's, it was not that common for married women to be working outside the home. Grandma did much of the catering while married to my grandfather. 

And she continued working after his death in 1959. My mother and uncle were only 21 and 17 at the time. My mom would be married within 1 1/2 years and move 300 miles away to  southeastern Indiana.

As a widow at 49 years old, she had to become quite independent in taking care of herself and her home.

She would also drive herself and her sister, Alice, on car trips back to Iowa to visit their siblings. They took several of these car trips until their health eventually prevented them.

Grandma with three of her sisters.
L-R:  Catherine, Alice, Tillie and Florence

When house maintenance became too much in later years, my grandmother sold her house and moved herself into a senior citizen home. Here, she really enjoyed visiting with her friends, playing bingo and cards...and even taking a trip out to Vegas!

She cherished her family and her grandchildren. My Uncle Jim stayed in the Kendall County area, and he would visit Grandma often with his two kids. My family lived in southeastern Indiana, and many trips were made back and forth to see each other.


My Memories


She loved playing games with us children! I couldn't even recall how many times Yahtzee or a deck of cards were already setting on the dining room table awaiting her arrival!

Mathilda (Tillie) Steffen Pearce passed away on August 27, 1991. I have so many fantastic memories of this wonderful woman! I was only 21 years old when she passed away, and hadn't even begun to realize all that she had taught me.

Almost thirty years later, I may have forgotten the little bit of her childhood German she taught me. But, I remember everything else! Be strong. Take care of yourself. Cherish your family. Have fun!

These last photos are of the Grandma Pearce that I treasure. This is how I will remember her always.

Tillie Pearce



Grandma Pearce and
Grandma Schrader


My mom, Kathy Schrader and
Grandma Pearce

6 comments:

  1. Whether it was posted exactly on Valentine's day or not, this was a great tribute to Mathilda. It sounds like she had a lot of good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laura! She did have a lot of good advice, but I think I learned more in the way she lived her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like a lovely grandmother, Diane and a very independent woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a wonderful grandmother, and I was very blessed to have her in my life. I had never really realized until just the last few years how independent she was.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! I love reading about strong, independent women who cultivate their own lives and skills even while tending to their families. Your grandmother sounds remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly! She was a very remarkable lady! I miss her every day.

      Delete