Friday, October 25, 2019

October Genealogy Blog Party: A Fantastic Family History Month in the Books!


Family History Month...What does this mean to you?

For me, personally, this means cousins, reunions and family trees...BUT, my true passion is in encouraging others into discovering their family history.

And, that is exactly what made this past month a fantastic Family History Month!

I have been working as the adult services librarian at a small town library in Indiana for a little over four years. Because of my knowledge and passion for family history, I was put in charge of my library's Indiana/Genealogy Area.

I do have genealogy and history programs throughout the year, but really pile them on throughout October for Family History Month. The last few years has not had the greatest attendance.

However, this year...Amazing!

Double the turnout, New faces, and Interested, spirited dialogue!

Oh, and an added bonus...a past genealogy volunteer had such fun helping a patron during our first event that she decided to volunteer again!! Woo hoo!!

Family History Month Events

  • "Break Thru That Brick Wall" One-on-one Genealogy Help
  • "Get to Know Greene County" Family History Info
  • "Books + Internet = Success" Genealogy Class
(And I used a much-loved photo of my great-grandmother and her family at a wedding as the backdrop for my flyer!)


How to Top Off a Great Family History Month?

With a FAMILY REUNION, of course!

Look how huge the Family
Tree Chart is!
Reviewing the Family
Tree Chart
Lots of fun photo props!
Always plenty of great food! Yum!

Yours truly talking family
 history with an interested cousin
Hammin' it up!

And, thus ends a truly wonderful Family History Month in Indiana!!



10 comments:

  1. I love that Indiana libraries put an emphasis on genealogy. Visited the ones in Perry County and Crawford County some years back and collected some good stuff on my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Perry or Crawford county libraries. I will have to get there sometime. I think part of the reason is that we have a fairly strong Indiana State Library with a strong emphasis on genealogy, a good solid state genealogical society and also Allen County Public Library.They set a good tone for the whole state to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to all in your library! I specially like the sound of "Books + Internet = Success".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I always try to think of short & catchy titles, and that one just said it all! Lol

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post. I too work for our local public library in the Finance Department. But, very active in all of our genealogy programming. We have discussion groups, programs & lock-ins. And, every year in March have a conference. Genealogy interest is growing so fast! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing about all the great things you are doing in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind remarks! It sounds like you have a fairly active genealogy department. I am trying to grow our activities, but it is only a portion of my job. But, I do what I can. Are you in a smaller, or bigger, library? Also, just curious as to what state you are in?

      Delete
  5. I think you have a dream job - what genealogist wouldn't love to get paid to work a library??? Even better is that your job includes the genealogy collection. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books, doing all kinds of fun programs, and helping people...so, a library was a good fit for me. And to throw genealogy in to boot... love it! I just wish I had more time to do genealogy at work.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing a wonderful post Diane your blog and website is an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! Your comment just made my day!

      Delete