Thursday, January 30, 2020

New Genealogy Prompt ~ Through Her Eyes Thursday!

Photo courtesy of pexels.com

Throughout history, the stories of our ancestors have been told mostly from the men's point of view. In many instances, the women and their accomplishments, perspectives and so much more have been cast aside.

So, in order to see the world as our female ancestors would have, I am starting a new prompt. I would love for you to join me!!

New Genealogy Prompt ~ "Through Her Eyes" Thursday


What would be included within this writing prompt?

  • If you have a female ancestor who's story you would like to tell
  • As you are researching, and you discover an interesting female
  • If you find something that tells your readers more about the "women's side" of historical events
  • Diary/journal entries, etc. that tells what everyday life was like for women "back in the day"

The first two photos are examples of what could be included of historical events shown from a woman's perspective.


Photos, like the one below, would have been cast to the side for more of the likes of male aviators, such as Charles Lindbergh; even though there were many female pilots over the years.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.org

We have seen photos of women of the suffrage movement and their rallies. But have you looked closely into the eyes of one of these women, and tried to imagine all the reasons she would stand on the front lines like this? How did she view the world in which she lived?


Photo courtesy of loc.org

Our Female Ancestors and Looking Through Her Eyes


Although I have never shied away from telling the stories of my female ancestors here, I can honestly say that I hadn't looked at the world through their eyes either. 

What is my grandmother thinking in this photo? In another year or so, she would be married to my grandfather. Had she already met him, and was in love? Was she even thinking of the future, or just loving life? The grandma I knew wouldn't have posed for a photo like this. Who was this woman?

My paternal grandmother, Ethel
 (approx. 20 years old)


I was fortunate enough to be around Grandma Ethel for over 40 years, and my Great-Grandma Carrie for 12 years. It wasn't until recently that I would look at these two photos below, and realize that I was looking into the eyes of a woman who saw her newlywed sister pass away during the flu epidemic, her brother go off to WW I & four of her sons to WW II. She had already become a widow by this time. Her four sons had returned home from the war, only for one of them to pass away three years later.


My paternal great-grandmother,
Carrie

As she holds her grandchildren in these photos, it is hard to imagine all the changes she had  already seen in the world. By the time she had passed away in the 1970's, the news of the day had covered the Wright Brothers and the Moon Landing! 


Great-grandma Carrie (L) and
Grandma Ethel (R)

How to Participate in "Through Her Eyes" Thursday


If you are looking for a prompt to help bring life to your ancestors' stories, consider using "Through Her Eyes" Thursday!

  1. Find a story about a female ancestor or an interesting woman that you would like to share. 
  2. You could also share a "woman's view" of a historical event, or an example of their everyday life 
  3. Be sure to include "Through Her Eyes" Thursday in your title, tags, etc. to ensure good search engines results.
  4. Be sure to include Instagram and Twitter in on the fun, too! Just be sure to use the hashtag (#ThroughHerEyesThursday)
  5. Share, share and share some more!! Share on FB and Instagram; retweet on Twitter!


22 comments:

  1. Great idea, best of luck with your new prompt. I'm looking forward to reading your (and others') stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dara! I appreciate it. I hope you that you can participate, too. I look forward to reading your stories, too!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Diane. Your grandmothers sound like fascinating women. I'll bet they'd be very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were. I just wish that I had appreciated them more for the fascinating women they were when they were alive.

      Delete
  3. Interesting idea, Diane! It's so important to remember the ladies. I'll have to give some thought as to how to participate - so many stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I agree about how important it is to tell their stories, also. They make up 1/2 of our family trees. I can't wait to see how you will participate!

      Delete
  4. Your grandmothers would be proud! I may have to start this too...sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, HoneyBee! I can't wait to see what stories you have to tell!

      Delete
  5. #throughtheireyesthursday Great idea! I'm going to do my best to participate at least once a month. I'm always interested in women's stories and not only those in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I can't wait to read what stories you have to tell! I think it's great to tell the stories of all the women that we discover, not just our families.

      Delete
  6. A great idea, Diane, and it fits in with one of my 2020 targets to give more of a profile to my female ancestors. I shall be adding a post to your prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I look forward to reading your post. And I am glad that I can help you in meeting one of your own targets!

      Delete
    2. I came to this theme via ScotSue's post and thought it an excellent way to tell more ancestral stories. My first contribution this week. https://ayfamilyhistory.com/2020/02/13/through-her-eyes-votes-for-women-1903/

      Delete
    3. Anne, I am so glad that you found this theme on ScotSue's post! I can't wait to click on your link, and read your post!

      Delete
  7. Love this concept of recognizing women -- sometimes so hard to find information about these hard working individuals -- just wrote about one who had 18 children and then died of the flu at age 44 -- the life of raising that many kids at a time when people moved to new homes every 2-3 years...... Wish I had a way to know more about her as a person....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that sometimes we are limited with our brick walls, but it seems that something seems to guide us to what we are looking for. I hope you find out more about her. She would make a very interesting blog post, I am sure.

      Delete
  8. Hi, the twitter says #throughhereyesthursday not #throughtheireyesthursday. do you want to clarify?
    I think its a great idea and have scheduled a post for 7.30 pm Thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! It should be as you were writing "Through Her Eyes" Thursday as a hashtag. That would make it #throughhereyesthursday. I can't wait to read your post on Thursday! What is the name of your blog, so I will be able to find it?

      Delete
  9. Very glad to find your link and this prompt based posting for 2020. I hope to participate often, as I have a well documented, researched and feisty bunch of women in my Texas and Georgia Family Tree. Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Thank you! I am very glad that you found the link, also. I can't wait to read your posts. I married a Texan! I never got the chance to meet his mother, but he tells me his sister is a lot like her. Feisty is a good word to use! Texan all the way! Lol

      Delete