Sunday, October 1, 2017

Family Tree, Boxes and Blogs

The Family Tree 

What would possess someone into starting a family research blog when much of her research is still in boxes?  But possessed I must have been! 

Our neighbor, a military man, had just been assigned ‘somewhere else’ for the next 1-½ years.  Since his family was planning to join him, we were asked to farmsit/housesit for them. This was a win-win situation for us.  We had a comfortable house to live in, as we were getting prepared for our own house on our property.

The only negative was that most everything stayed in the boxes.  I was able to do a little downsizing; but overall, the boxes stayed packed. 

However, even with everything in boxes, I felt the need to start this blog. And, I am so glad that I did!

I have met a new cousin online, and learned new information from her about my great-grandfather.  Cousins that I have known my whole life, are asking questions and leaving comments about our shared ancestors.

And, all of this with most of my info still in boxes!! Lol  

Just wait until everything is unpacked soon, then we will be off and running!

Where to Find the Family Tree

One important thing that I wanted to pass on to all of my relatives today, is to let you know about my family tree being online.  I have started the tree on Familysearch.org, and have also added photos to my tree.  I am also slowly, but surely, making sure that I have added my sources, too.  By doing this, you will be able to find these records for our shared ancestors yourself, if you would ever need them.

If you are related (whether you want to admit it or not! ~ Lol), you are more than welcome to take a look. The tree starts with my mom and dad, so you can start your research there to see what else that I have.

Familysearch.org allows you to add relevant information to another person’s tree.  I have no problem with that, but I do ask for a favor.  When you add information to my family tree, please be sure to add the corresponding proof to it.  I would like for the tree to be as accurate as possible; and without primary sources, or even secondary ones, it can’t be used by others as well.  

So, if you can show the sources, please feel free to add.  But, as our math teachers always taught us, you need to show your work!

And I will be grading with my red pen, too!! If it is not obvious how someone belongs on our family tree, has no sources, or I have no way of contacting the person who added it...I will probably cut that branch of the tree.

If you have any questions about this, please don’t hesitate to comment below or email me at mypassionroad@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment